Thursday, February 18, 2010

Joy in Marriage

I often stop by a blog called The Glamorous Life of a Housewife to read what is on her joyful heart. Whitney is the sister of my husbands best friend from high school. Did you get that? Anyways, I feel like I know her even though I have only met her a couple of times. She is an excellent writer, and exudes her joy and love for family and life through her blog. Last week she did a little series about her love for her husband, and one post was dedicated to their first year of marriage. They had such a fun spontaneous year, always there for each other and always enjoying the good and the hard.


For some the first year of marriage was really hard. For others like Whitney, it was a very joyful time. Eric and I had a fantastic first year of marriage. It was so fun and so bonding. We had one car with no A/C and a 1 1/2 hour daily commute in Southern California. We were living in a tiny apartment, we didn't know a single person in the town we moved to, I couldn't cook, etc etc. All that to say, we were young and in love and having a blast! I want my marriage to always be like that. I want to always enjoy one another no matter what. But as I am realizing, it takes a little more work to make the fun happen later in marriage. We are more exhausted because of young children, we have more responsibility, we have less alone time, etc etc.

So, my question is...Was your first year of marriage fun or a train wreck? And what do you and your husband do to keep things fun now that you have been married for a little while?

6 comments:

Bronwyn said...

First year was wonderful...and we still laugh about all the funny stories that happened as we tried life on our own for the first time. I feel like each year just gets better...

And, I'm glad you two are back! I always enjoy your blog! And, Faith, my resolution also has to do with simplification...in our pantry...I am working towards a more whole foods/organic approach to our diets. In fact, I have bread in the oven now! It's exciting!

Jenne said...

Our first year was a mess by my standards. But Ryan thought it was great.

I am so happy to say that 12 years later, things have improved significantly!! (and it did NOT take 12 years for improvement to happen.)

Having learned how to argue well, turn toward rather than away from each other in times of conflict, and having persisted in laughing and playing together, we do enjoy a bit a care-free-ness now and then.

Faith said...

Our first year was rough at times. We went through two job changes, got pregnant 3 months into our marriage only to find out it was a false pregnancy, then we got pregnant with Peyton 3 months after that so I spent the second half of our first year pregnant. We did NOT know how to fight, etc. BUT we did have a lot of fun as well. Our relationship has come a LONG way in 6 years. I can't wait to see what happens in the next 6:)

Brandy said...

Our first year of marriage was rough. But God, by His wonderful grace and mercy, has changed us both for the better, and our marriage is the absolute best it has ever been! I love my hubby so much, and I am so thankful to be married to him! Marriage is so refining and God has so many blessings in store for us through this adventure!

Lauren said...

My first year of marriage to Adam was pretty rough! Figuring out a schedule, and who is responsible for which chores, learning to share with each other etc, all hard things to learn when first married. Our second year was much better, and thank goodness it was...I am so grateful for that second year of bliss, knowing he died only a month after our 2nd anniversary.
Luckily my first year of marriage to Rick was great. I guess I was an old pro after going through a first year of marriage already :) Communication was much easier, we both knew what we wanted and needed. The only stressful part was living in a motorhome for 4 months of our first year, but in the end it was a bonding experience I think. Anyways, thanks for asking, its fun to see what everyone else had to say!

Matt & Amanda said...

The first year was wonderful, but I truly think every year has gotten better. However, I have noticed now that our little man has arrived it is harder to make our time with each other special. I know I definitely need to be more purposeful. I would love to hear ideas as well. :)