Wednesday, December 24, 2008

By request, I blog :)

I received this email from my sister today, 

"I think we could all use the opportunity to think about our snowy thorns and turn them into roses… I have a couple I could add…"


And since she is one of our most faithful readers, I will oblige :)  

Here in Oregon we are experiencing an "Arctic Freeze".  The weather is much colder than normal, and we are experiencing more snow than we have in a LONG time.  Most of us are well prepared for rain, and for a light snow that melts away with the next day's rain, but this heavy long-lasting snow has been quite a challenge.  Stuck at home, losing electricity, cold blistery wind making it hard to play outside sometimes, etc.  But it is BEAUTIFUL.  Agree?

This is a view out my front door where a snow drift has taken over!  That's about 4 feet of snow!


Here's my rose, thorn, rose, thorn, rose, thorn...
Eric missed a lot of work.  The store he works at has been closing early, opening late, and canceling shifts.  Plus, Eric couldn't even make it out of the garage let alone to work one day (until we borrowed a snow shovel).  This was nice (rose) because we got to spend a lot of time together, playing in the snow, sitting by the fire, reading, playing games.  But it was hard (thorn) because our budget is so tight.  Missing days of work is tough.  Thankfully (another rose) Eric picked up an entire extra 8 hour shift for today and another 2 extra hours so we almost broke even as far as missing work goes.  We will be okay :)  Another thorn has been all the canceled parties!  Faith, I know you can weigh in on this one!  But, the rose is a forced relaxed holiday.  Relaxed because we are STUCK!  Can't run errands, can't go to parties, can't go to events.  Being home so much has also forced me to be more creative and have a better flow to the day for the kids so that I don't go stir crazy!  I could go on and on but I will stop and let all of you share.  

And sister, I am expecting at least three comments from you :)  

7 comments:

Jenne said...

THORN! We are stuck in our house.

ROSE! We are stuck in our house TOGETHER.

It has been wonderful having Ryan home for these days, where there is little to do but just BE TOGETHER.

Jenne said...

THORN! No worky-worky for Ryan, as the clinics have all been closed and/or patients have been cancelling right and left.

ROSE! In about 6-8 weeks, there will be a slew of new patients who slipped and fell on the ice and are just getting their casts off and in need of arm/hand therapy. We will hopefully sort of make up for lost revenue. (But sorry to those who hurt themselves!!)

Jenne said...

Megan said I was to post AT LEAST three... so here is my third.

THORN! SNOW SNOW SNOW = frozen water pipes (and no water coming in to the house all day today)

ROSE! because of the snow, we celebrated Christmas on Monday at our house to give the kids some wonderful things to occupy themselves while we were snowed in. Oh man oh man was that a GREAT idea. We spent all day together, played together, built new legos together, built this cool castle thingy together, and then broke in the new Wii together (Merry Christmas, Ryan...I must REALLY love you, huh?!). We have had a fun couple of days because of the snow.

oh, and it turns out our water pipes were not frozen afterall. someone had actually gone into our neighborhood pumphouse and turned off the water supply to our house... so the rose there is obvious: no huge plumbing bill to fix a busted pipe, and even better, no huge bill to pay to figure out that we just needed to turn a gasket to the left.

Shellee said...

Thorn: It really has been too cold and windy to play outside, plus the snow is a little too deep for my 2 year old.

Rose: The wind has died down, and I'm hoping the little bit that melted today will allow us to play a little!

Thorn: We bought a snow suit for Renee yesterday, the hanger said 3T, but it's actually a 4T, darn it.

Rose: It's big, but we can put lots of layers under it, and she can wear it next year, and maybe even the following year!

Thorn: My parents cancelled Christmas at their house, and rescheduled for Saturday

ROSE!: We get to spend ALL of Christmas day with Adam's family, then ALL of Saturday with my big crazy family! And we get to celebrate Christmas twice! (We always do both families in one day, so this will be soooo much easier!) ;-D

Shellee said...

I've missed this blog!

Merry Christmas!!

Jon and Erin said...

Thorn: I missed all the snow because I'm in SC.
Rose: I'm spending 2 weeks with Jon's family and getting to know them better!

Diane said...

Rose, the snow was beautiful and fun to play in
Thorn, my daughter Hayley broke her wrist while playing in it.
(sorry Ryan, no OT for her)
Rose, my husband and I were able to spend 5 hours with Hayley, just her, Mom and Dad.
Thorn, we got on eachothers nerves while being snowed in.
Rose, the Wii saved the day!
Another Rose, the kids all played together........no arguing!!