Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Keep the tomatoes coming...

If you still have green tomatoes on your tomato plants, here is an idea.


Dig them up or pull them out of the ground, roots and all.  Shake the excess dirt off.  Then hang them upside down in your garage.  I know, it sounds weird, but it seems to work.  And I am not sure that it is necessary that they be upside down, but it keeps them out of the way :)  The tomatoes continue to ripen, even without the sun.  I heard the idea from a few different sources so I am trying it out.  So far so good!  The tomatoes in the garage are ripening faster than the ones I left in the garden.


Now then, what are you going to do with your (garage) tomatoes?  I am doing a lot of freezing of my tomatoes.  I don't do much sauce, mostly crushed or chopped.  But when I do sauce, I use this cool thing.

It was my Grandma's, and it is sturdy and simple and just cool.  I did some applesauce in it too.  Anyways, tomatoes don't seem to yield very much sauce, so I prefer to do the crushed or diced first, saving sauce as a last resort.  There are so many recipes that call for canned tomatoes, so I am excited to have frozen ones on hand.  

I hope this is helpful to someone out there!

2 comments:

Alison said...

What a great tip! I'm going to try it today.

Faith said...

I would try it if I had tomato plants..or if I liked tomatoes..hmmm good tip though!