Friday, October 3, 2008

Friday Recipe - Beans

I mentioned in a previous post that I was going to feed my family rice and beans for a week.  We started this on Thursday and it has been great!  I thought I would give you a rundown of the recipes we tried.  (I spent a morning cooking up my entire weeks worth of dry beans so that they would be ready for each different meal.  This of course took some time, but ended up saving me a lot of time each evening.)


Recipe #1:  Taco Soup (with cornbread)
(I don't use a recipe, so I am guessing on the measurements)
1 1/2 cup black beans 
1 1/2 cup pinto/chili beans 
1 1/2 cup kidney beans
1 cup garbanzo beans
1 can Rotel
1 can tomato sauce (or homemade tomato sauce)
1 packet ranch salad dressing mix
In a large pot, stir together all ingredients.  Add about 1-3 cups water to make it the consistency of soup.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat.  Simmer for about an hour.  You may also want to salt to taste.  I normally make this recipe using canned beans which adds plenty of salt.  You can add ground turkey/beef, throw in some corn, or add anything else that you want.   

Recipe #2:  Chili
I tried this recipe.  It was pretty good, but needed some extra seasonings.  It also ended up a little soupy.  But it was pretty good.

Recipe #3:  Baked Burritos
Again, no recipe.  But simply take some of the pinto beans and mash them up.  Simmer on the stovetop, add some water if they dry out.  You can add spices (chili powder, garlic salt, etc), salsa and some cheese.  You can also add in some of the other beans (whole, not mashed), corn, olives, onions, anything!).  Heat it all together, melting the cheese and then fill each tortilla, roll, put in a greased baking pan.  Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.  

Recipe #4:  Haystacks 
Put a pile of shredded lettuce on each plate.  Then let everyone choose their toppings - beans, cheese, corn chips, olives, sour cream, salsa, etc.  (aka Taco Salad)

Recipe #5:  Taco Pizza
Make/buy pizza crust (we like the jiffy pack, but I am soon going to make my own dough - Andrea or Alison, could I get your recipe?!).  Bake the crust for about 10 minutes (if you are using dough) at 425.  Then spread on a can of tomato sauce, some cheese, pinto/black/red beans, olives, anything you want!  Bake for another 5-10 minutes.  Add chopped lettuce and tomatoes.  

Recipe #6:  Baked potatoes with Chili
Heat up some left over chili, bake some potatoes, and enjoy.  Serve with cheese and sour cream.
Gotta love easy quick meals!

Recipe #7:  Cheese quesadillas, refried beans, Spicy Spanish Rice
Refry up those beans, make some simple cheese quesadillas, and add to the menu this spanish rice!  (I haven't tried it yet, but we will have it in the next couple days.  I'll let you know if it's good.)
1/3 cup salsa, chunky
1 cup water
1 green bell pepper, finely diced
1 can (16 oz) diced tomatoes, not drained
1 1/2 cups quick cooking brown rice, uncooked
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Spray a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray.  Add all ingredients and mix well.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low.  Cover and simmer 25 min or until most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.  

So, that was our 7 day beans and rice menu.  I guess we only did rice once (we aren't really rice people), so that was our 7 day bean menu.  Just to give you a little idea of the money you can save by cooking with dry beans, I spent less than $5 for our whole weeks worth of protein.  That's not bad.  And they are all very hearty meals so hopefully the hubby won't mind the lack of meat!

2 comments:

Ginger@chirgies said...

Yum! Sounds like Dave Ramsey's: beans and rice, rice and beans.:) I can't wait to try recipe 1, and 2 and 3, and...

Jenne said...

There are a couple on there that I would like to try, too. Nice job, Megan, being super-extremely frugal!!