Thursday, September 18, 2008

Let's start over

The other day, my three year old and I were battling it out. The argument we were having was so ridiculous, and she was crying about everything. It was a lose-lose situation and I didn't even know what to say or do next. I was beside myself, and she was balling her eyes out at anything I said. Out of ideas, I sent her to her room.


I had no idea what I was going to do, how I was going to fix this problem, and what to say. I waited a couple minutes and then walked into her bedroom. 

She was crying in the corner behind her desk.  My sweet girl looked so sad. 

I called her over, and said, "Do you want to just start over?" 

She gave a half smile and quietly said, "ya." We went back to the living room and started the whole interaction over. It went much much better the second time around.  We both needed to forget about the past and press on. 

It made me think about how often we all need a second chance. A clean start is so valuable. Sometimes when we are deep in our sin, we feel trapped and feel that we can only go deeper in the wrong direction.  (That is just what Jenna and I were doing - both getting deeper and deeper in our sins.)  Thankfully, by the grace of God we can start over, forgetting the past and pressing on toward Christ.  If we believe and take God up on His promise that he cleans us white as snow, and that his mercies are new every morning, then we really can have a clean start. We are not trapped in our sinful ways. Just because we yelled at our kids yesterday or were rude to the insurance lady on the phone, or snapped at dear husband doesn't mean that we must continue that pattern. Believe in His grace and mercy, and act upon His forgiveness!  

Sometimes we just need to start over.  And we need to give those around us the chance to start over too.

"The LORD'S lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:19-23


5 comments:

keely steger said...

One of my favorite truths in scripture. Thanks, Megan.

Jenne said...

New EVERY morning. Yes. Thank you, Lord.

Ben & Tera said...

Thanks megan. needed that today:)

Tonya said...

Wow, great thoughts Megan. Thanks for sharing that story and bringing it back to scripture.

Diane said...

that is a wonderful thing......start over, start fresh.
I'm going to try that with my kids.