Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Homemaker Tip-Organization

Last week we organized our kitchens, this week we're on to bathrooms!

This is the most organized medicine cabinet I have ever seen. I don't know about you guys, but ours is always a mess. I am constantly pulling something off of a shelf only to have 3 things I don't need fall into the sink. I may have to try this one! A couple of the things I really like are the hooks on the door, not only would you always know where your scissors or tweezers are, it would also keep those things out of your kids reach! Here is a little snippet that came with the picture that helps explain the process..

Make the most of a tight space with these easy tricks. Have galvanized metal cut to fit the back of the cabinet and inside the door (you can get it pre-cut at Home Depot..make sure edges are filed so you don't cut yourself). Adhere metal with caulk. (If your mirror has clips, loosen them, and slide the metal behind them.) Attach magnetized hooks, a notepad holder for brushes and combs, and spice canisters for hair elastics and barrettes (SO great..I am always looking for mine!). Group like items in votive holders and small acrylic boxes; double surface space with acrylic risers.

How cool is this? I think it's pretty amazing..so organized and so pretty!
This is a cool idea that Bryan and I actually stole a couple years ago. Bryan actually easily built and painted ours. We use them more for decoration than to store things but either way you do it is great! I'm sure IKEA has something similar as well.(Alison?)
Here's a fun way to store towels. Hang bathroom towels from the rungs of a progressive or apple-picking ladder propped against a wall. To prevent the ladder from slipping, attach rubber tips made for chair legs to the ladder's feet. Secure the top to the wall with hooks and eyes.
Here is an easy and attractive way to store shampoo, conditioner and body washes. These small containers look nicer than store bought containers and they take up less room, storing nicely in storage devices like this one. Identify bottles with laminated labels, adding either the names of family members who use them or listing the contents.

ps. to go with last weeks kitchen organization post, one thing I forgot to add is that I have started using clothes pins (yes, the "old fashioned" kind) as clips to close any kind of bag in the kitchen. I use them on pasta bags, for spices, for things in the freezer, fridge, etc. They are great and they take up a lot less room than those big bulky chip clips and they hold things closed a lot better than twisty ties. I know that you can buy plastic ones as well, the ones I use are just some old ones my mom gave me! You should try them.

2 comments:

Ginger@chirgies said...

Thanks for the ideas Faith! I used the box idea in the kitchen, and put all my bread making/baking stuff in a shoe box-no lid (I'm hoping to wrap the outside of it in cute scrapbooking paper) Now when I go to bake bread I pull out the box and everything is right there. :) Thanks! Also, a carabiner works great for hair rubber bands. It keeps them all together, and yet easy to get the color we want off. Another idea, I hot glued some binder clips to a piece of wood, then Eric screwed it into the inside closet in the bathroom and I hang the girls' hair ribbons by color on them.

Ben & Tera said...

Great ideas! I really like these. Thanks!