Friday, September 12, 2008

Friday Recipe-Italian Penne Bake

I thought I would start with a family friendly recipe. My almost 4 year old daughter loves this dish as well as my husband and I. It is easy, fills you up, yummy with garlic bread, good left over and easy to make ahead of time and freeze. Hope you enjoy it!

Italian Penne Bake
4 servings

1 1/2 c dried penne
1/2 c sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 c quartered, thinly sliced onion
1 medium green or red sweet pepper cut into thing, bite-size strips
3 oz. sliced pepperoni or Canadian-style bacon, cut up
1 1/2 t bottled minced garlic (I use fresh garlic)
1 1/2 t olive oil or cooking oil
1 1/2 c marinara pasta sauce
2/3 c shredded Italian blend cheese

Lightly coat a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain well. Return pasta to saucepan. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook mushrooms, onion, sweet pepper, pepperoni, and garlic in hot oil for 3 minutes. Add vegetable mixture and marinara sauce to pasta; toss to coat. Spread pasta mixture evenly in prepared baking dish. Bake, covered in a 350 degree oven about 25 minutes or until heated through. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until cheese melts.

2 comments:

Melissa Lester said...

Ooh, that sounds delicious! I make a similar dish that is great to freeze, making for an easy weeknight meal on a hectic day. And a casserole like that is really family friendly for delivering a meal to someone who needs it. I'll bet my family would love your recipe with pepperoni in it!

Pennies In My Pocket said...

Oooooo y uuuuuuuuuuuuum! Sounds so good and super easy. Yeah, I love good and easy! :)

Thanks for sharing!!

~melody~