Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Zucchini

Zucchinis are delicious in so many different ways.  If anyone out there is growing zucchinis this year, you may be with me in having an abundance of the veggie right now!  So, here are a few ways to use it and save it.


Sauteed Zucchini
Melt 1tbs. butter in a pan.  Slice zucchinis and saute in the butter until tender-crisp.  Add a little salt and pepper while cooking.  Yum!

Battered Zucchini
1 Cup flour
1/2 teas. salt
1 teas. baking powder
1 egg lightly beaten
1 cup milk
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb. zucchini
olive oil for frying (I use as little as possible)

Mix the dry ingredients.  Combine in wet ingredients, beat until smooth.  Slice the zucchinis into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces and pat them dry.  Heat the oil, medium high heat, batter and fry.  Drain on paper towel and sprinkle with salt.

Zucchini Bread
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 beaten egg
1 cup sugar
1 cup finely shredded, unpeeled zucchini
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup walnuts (optional)

1.  Grease loaf (8x4x2) pan.  Preheat oven to 350F.
2.  In a medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg.  Make a well in the center of flour mixture; set aside
3.  In another medium bowl, combine egg, sugar, zucchini, and oil.  Add zucchini mixture all at once to flour mixture.  Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).  Fold in nuts.  Pour into prepared pan.
4.  Bake at 350F for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.  Remove from pan.  Cool completely on wire rack.  Wrap and store overnight before slicing.

Freezing Zucchini
I am trying this for the first time this year.  I found this site and this site helpful.  I shredded and froze, sliced and froze, sliced and blanched and froze.  Next year I will know what works best so that I can stick to one or two methods.  

Oh, and of course share your zucchini with friends and family! 

Anyone else have good tips, recipes, or ideas to share?

7 comments:

Faith said...

That is SO crazy! Bryan's grandma gave us a big zucchini and a yellow squash from her garden so today I was looking for recipes since I don't really cook with either of these! We are having Zucchini Summer Pasta for dinner tonight:) Maybe if it's good, I'll post the recipe! Thanks for the ideas Megan!!

Glamorous Life of a House Wife said...

I had frozen zuccini the other night and it was delish! I like zuccini in pasta... mmmm...

keely steger said...

I'm picking up some zucchini from the farmer's market today to try and get both my boys to try it. This is Ina's recipe that I'll be using. I love it!

Zucchini with Parmesan
8 med zucchini
olive oil
2 lg yellow onions cut in half and sliced 1/2 inch thick
salt and pepper
1/2 cup paremesan

Remove the ends of the zucchini and cut in half lengthwise. Slice diagonally in 1/2 inch slices. Heat 2 tbs olive oil in a large skillet and add the onions. Cook 10 minutes over med-low heat, until they start to brown. Add half the zucchini, 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper to the pan and cook, tossing occasionally, for 10-15 minutes, until just cooked through. Sprinkle with parmesan and cook 30 minutes more. Remove to serving platter and repeat with remaining zucchini.

(I never make this much at once, since it's obviously only for 3 of us...well, usually just me, but it's easy to scale down for the number you need to feed!)

Tara said...

Haven't ever really done much with zucchini. Think I might need to give it a try again!

Ginger said...

We LOVE Zucchini! They're so easy to grow and we end up with way too many. Hence, the many recipes. :)

A few ways we cook it - similair to Keely, but then add some spaghetti sauce and 1/4 cup Heavy whipping cream right at the end and serve over noodles. mmmm! (you can also add a yellow squash -more for color, and mushroms too.)

Also Zucchini grated, squeezed out, mixed with an egg, some parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and then cooked on a griddle like pancakes. Pop them in a toasted bagel with a slice of cheese. Yum.

And Zucchini bread, but not the healthy kind - you add in a Tablespoon (or more) of Hershey's cocoa powder and then a bunch of mini chocolate chips... sinfully delicious with a cup of coffee.

Jon and Erin said...

If anyone has extra they're trying to get rid of...I'll take it! I planted squash and zucchini plants and I'm left with LOTS of squash plants and no zucchini plants. Bummer, I like to blend them all up and use as soup thickeners etc.

Alison said...

My dad put zucchini on the grill, sliced with a little olive oil and fresh parmesean! YUMMY and super easy!