Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Winter garden research

I did some research, and this site was particularly helpful.  Here are the things I learned that seem to be the most important to know:

1.  Have good drainage - Raised beds are great, or a garden that isn't at the bottom of a hill.

2.  Know when the First frost will be - I don't totally understand the math of first frost, but this site will tell you when the first estimated frost will be in your area.  Then check your seed packet.  For instance, my lettuce says that I can plant up to two weeks before the first frost.

3.  Protect against slugs, especially when the rain begins.  Deadline is great but it can be harmful to pets.  Sluggo is the safer alternative.  Slugs will eat your small stuff over night.

4.  Veggies to plant - Good crops for fall and winter gardens include salad greens, cabbage, broccoli, kale, Brussels sprouts, carrots, leeks, beets, turnips, scallions, parsley, cilantro, spinach, and parsnips. You can plant these vegetables in mid- to late summer after you harvest spring crops and space is available.

5.  Take special care of your new seeds and seedlings.  They need tender care the first week or two.  Sprinkle them with water once (or sometimes twice) a day at first. 

Hopefully this is helpful to those who are like me and trying this for the first time.  If you are out there and have some wisdom to share with us newbies, please do!  

2 comments:

Pleasant Drive said...

Good info. I just told my husband last night, "I think I'm going to become a worker-in-the-yarder."

Sweet Simplicity said...

Thanks for sharing the tips with us! Now if I can only work up some motivation to actually get out there and plant something....
:)