Monday, July 14, 2008

Homemade Jelly - without sugar!

This was my first year to try my hand at making jelly and it turned out pretty good, so I thought I would share the recipe.  I didn't want to add all the sugar that the recipes call for so I followed the advice of a good friend and made it without sugar.  This recipe substitutes the sugar with natural fruit juice.  I guess that the natural sugars react with the pectin setting the fruit, or something like that.  Anyways, here's what I did:


1 box Ball No Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin
1 3/4 cup white grape juice
1 1/2 cup strawberries
1 1/2 cup raspberries
Follow the detailed directions found in the package and enjoy!  

I followed the directions to make raspberry jelly, but added strawberries to make it sweeter, and used white grape juice instead of cran-raspberry that it called for.  There are recipes in the box for several fruit combinations, and for jar or freezer jam.  

*I just noticed that the first ingredient on the box is dextrose, a sugar substitute.  I wonder if there is a pectin out there that doesn't call for sugar and doesn't use a sugar substitute...

4 comments:

Ginger said...

Megan, Did you have to cook/bake it and do the water bath thing? Or did you do the freezer kind? The idea of standing over a hot stove just doesn't sound very fun right now, :S but I would so love a yummy, healthier option for homemade jam.

Megan said...

Ginger, I did freezer jam. You heat and boil the juice and pectin together (takes about 5 minutes), mash the berries, add them to the liquid, mix vigorously for 1 minute and you are done. Set in fridge, then freeze for up to 1 year. It was so easy, even for my first time.

Jenne said...

Megan, the jam you blessed me with was fabulously yummy! Thanks!!

Megan said...

Sis, I am SO glad that you like it! I can't believe how wonderful it can taste without the sugar. I imagine that adding 8 cups of sugar would make it darn yummy, but what's the point when it tastes so good like this!?!?!