Thursday, July 3, 2008

Easy Decorating Tips

I decorate through trial and error. If you have ever been to my house, you know I like to rearrange furniture..a lot. This is partly because I just love to rearrange but it is also my way of finding out what works and what does not. I arrange the furniture one way and the next day (or hour) I realize that it looks better a different way so don't be afraid to play around with it and try things you normally wouldn't try.
Here are just a few tips that I have found very helpful while decorating/arranging.

  • When possible, bring furniture away from your walls. My favorite way to arrange living room furniture is by placing my couches and rugs at an angle. This gives great dimension and character to your room. It also provides a warm atmosphere for your guests.
  • In each room pick one or two pieces of furniture as focal points. In my living room, the TV armoire is the focal point and the couches, coffee table, etc. are arranged around that.
  • Place wall hangings at eye level. This looks more natural than hanging them right below your ceiling:) Pay attention also to the furniture below the item you are hanging, there shouldn't be too much space between the two, I usually leave about 1 1/2 to 2 feet open.
  • When possible, have someone designated to help (not suitable for small children:). They can hold a wall hanging while you take a few steps back to decide where it should go. This is especially convenient when you are screwing something into the wall. You can easily avoid getting out the Spackle and paint for filling in holes!

Hope these tips help you get started, check back for more easy decorating tips!

0 comments: