Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Closet Organization


I meant to do a before and after picture, but I forgot so I will just describe what it looked like before. From top to bottom: Toys on the top shelf. Dresses and sweaters hanging high. Toys on the floor.

The changes I made...

Put a bin on the top shelf - I toss clothes that my daughter has grown out of into this bin. When I notice that my daughter has grown out of something I wash it one last time and then toss it in the labeled bin. When the bin is getting full I do a last sweep over her wardrobe finding any last articles that don't fit her anymore, fold everything, and put the bin in the garage. I bring in a new empty one for the next size of clothes that she will soon grow out of. It's an easy way to keep the clothes organized and ready for the next kid in line.

Shoe hanger - I never found these very useful in my closet but I love it for my daughter. Keeps things organized and saves floor space.

Hanger extender bar - I think that is the technical term :) Anyways, this has solved SO many of our clothing battles. My daughter used to request to wear a dress every day. But now that she can see more of her wardrobe (I hung up some cute shirts too) she chooses from a greater variety and we don't battle as much. (I keep weather appropriate clothing at eye level.)

A clear floor - It doesn't stay clear for long, but it is nice that everything has a place without needing the closet floor to be a storage area. (*the pink box is her dress-up shoes)

So, that's how I organized my 3-year-olds closet. I am always looking for more ways to organize my house and my life. Do you have any closet tips to share?

6 comments:

Faith said...

Looks great Megan. I do the shoe organizers in the kids rooms too and they work great. I need to organize my kid's closets too. You have inspired me, maybe I'll do a before and after as well!!

Ben & Tera said...

My kids share their room so they have always each had a "side." We keep dressers in the closet (they each have a night stand for this)for pants, undies, socks, shoes, you get it. On top are little baskets for diapers, hair clips, yada, ya. Then shirts and Tay's dresses are hung on their own side. Having the dressers in the closets saves so much space in the room. I love the grown out of clothes trick. Good idea.

Megan said...

Tera,dressers in the closet is a great idea to save space. I imagine that with kids sharing a closet you have to be super-organized!!

Jenne said...

In addition to a bin for clothes they have grown out of, i also keep a bin for clothes in the next size up, and a bin for "out of season", which holds swimsuits and floating in the winter (every once in a while we stay at a hotel so knowing where these are is helpful), and extra warm clothes in the summer (you need that stuff on hand when you camp in the summer, you know).

Tara said...

Thanks for the comment! The closet looks great. Adding the lower bar is a great idea! Closet space and keeping them organized seems to be a constant struggle at our house. This will be a project I will be tackling soon!!

TSS said...

Drawers are also a great way to store things and keep them out of sight. You can label them too so items are easy to find.