Sunday, July 20, 2008

All about perspective

I tend to be a pessimist by nature. I look in the mirror and see bags under my eyes. I look at my yard and see weeds. I look at my house and see messes everywhere. I start a vacation and think about it ending. I look at my day and see all the dirty diapers I will change, the snotty noses I will wipe, the messes I will clean up.

Over the last several years I have worked to change this thought process. To see the positive side of things. The bad will always be there, but why dwell on it?! I have made some strides but I still have some work to do in this area.

I often think of how I worry about others seeing the bad in me. I worry that when friends come over they will see all the spots on my floors that I see so clearly. I worry that if people step into my backyard they will immediately focus in on all the blemishes that I can't help but see. Then I realize that I don't pay attention to these things when I visit friends and family so why would they notice it at my house? They probably don't! So I am turning over a new leaf. I am challenging myself to see the positive in myself and in others. Do any of you have a hard time with this? If so, join me in moving in a new direction! I want to glorify the Lord with my attitude and everything I do!!

3 comments:

Ben & Tera said...

Nice post Faith. Something I have been working hard in. Or...God has been in me:)Sometimes I even go as far as thinking "oh my, what did I wear at church last weekend, because heaven forbid my church family would see me in something to often." The sin is ugly, working to become more like Christ is quite the challenge. Thanks for the reminder.

Megan said...

I am with you, especially what you said near the end - worrying that others see the bad in me. I confess, I am a people pleaser and constantly struggle against this. I leave a party or a get together and worry if I said something stupid or offensive, etc. But instead of focusing on ME MYSELF AND I, I want to focus more on others, loving people and seeing the best in others.

Ginger said...

I'm right there with you too Faith! I so want my home to be perfect, but then I think of our two sets of Grandparents. One is a neat freak and their home is not nearly as welcoming or comfortable because I'm paranoid the kids are going to ruin something. The other is messy but I can relax because I know that the material things don't mean as much as the grandkids do. I guess there's a balance. I want my home to be welcoming. I hope that when people come over, I can say "Please step over the mess and come on in and have a seat." I want to be real. It's nice to know others aren't perfect either. Thanks for sharing Faith!